Federal lands in trust for tribes in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Read Online
Share

Federal lands in trust for tribes in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Hearing, Ninety-second Congress, first session, on S. 1217 ... S. 1230 ... March 26, 1971. by United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs. Subcommittee on Indian Affairs.

  • 86 Want to read
  • ·
  • 30 Currently reading

Published by U.S. Govt. Print. Off. in Washington .
Written in English

Subjects:

Places:

  • Minnesota.,
  • Wisconsin.

Subjects:

  • Indians of North America -- Land tenure.,
  • Indians of North America -- Minnesota.,
  • Indians of North America -- Wisconsin.

Book details:

Classifications
LC ClassificationsKF26 .I527 1971b
The Physical Object
Paginationiii, 72 p, 24 cm.
Number of Pages72
ID Numbers
Open LibraryOL5169018M
LC Control Number74616220

Download Federal lands in trust for tribes in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

PDF EPUB FB2 MOBI RTF

Chapter 24 – State-Tribal Relations November Wisconsin Legislator Briefing Book 5 INDIAN LANDS IN WISCONSIN Most of the federally-recognized tribes in Wisconsin have a reservation; that is, land that the federal government has set aside for the use of the tribe. However, land within theFile Size: KB. The federal Indian trust responsibility is a legal obligation under which the United States “has charged itself with moral obligations of the highest responsibility and trust” toward Indian tribes (Seminole Nation States, ).This obligation was first discussed by Chief Justice John Marshall in Cherokee Nation a (). Over the years, the trust doctrine has been at the. Minnesota, 41% of the land is Native American–owned trust land, whereas the other 59% is held privately by the state or county (16%), corporate timber companies (41%), or individuals (2%). Tribal trust lands make up the largest category of Native American land. These lands are held communally by the tribe, which cannot sell the land without. Native American Tourism of Wisconsin (NATOW) Native Wisconsin is a website and magazine guide that includes full-color photographs and historical, geographical, and tourist related information about each of the eleven federally recognized American Indian nations and tribal communities in the state of Wisconsin. The magazine includes information on environmental issues, treaties, education past.

The Federal/State Tribal Data Comparison web map can be used to compare the reservation boundaries that appear on the Minnesota State Highway Map with the U.S. Census Bureau reservation boundaries. This map also shows off-reservation trust land owned by tribes. The map is . Most school trust lands are found in northeastern Minnesota, though other trust lands are intermixed with privately and federally owned land. In fiscal year , the Minnesota School Trust Lands generated $41,, in net revenue. 78 percent of that was from mineral leases.   Northern Wisconsin tribes on Lake Superior have purchased land that will be added to their reservations using money from federal programs. In the last year, the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa has restored 3, acres on the reservation to tribal tribe has secured primary ownership in the land by making purchase offers to individual landowners using money through the. Print Version. Welcome to the State-Tribal Consultation Initiative website!. On April 9, , Governor Evers issued Executive Order #18, affirming the sovereignty of the 11 federally recognized tribal governments in Wisconsin and the government-to-government relationship that exists between the State and the is a continuation of the work set in motion by Executive Order #39 of.

Protecting and promoting the health and safety of the people of Wisconsin. Indian Country = Reservations, trust lands, and dependent Indian communities (similar to the pueblos) Major Crimes Act, 18 U.S.C. All felonies and listed crimes are the subject of federal law within Indian country; Federal criminal jurisdiction over any crimes listed in a state criminal code with an alleged Indian perpetrator inFile Size: KB. The federal Indian trust responsibility is also a legally enforceable fiduciary obligation on the part of the United States to protect tribal treaty rights, lands, assets, and resources, as well as a duty to carry out the mandates of federal law with respect to American Indian and Alaska Native tribes and villages. Of that total, percent, or million acres, belonged to the federal government as of More than 33 million acres in Wisconsin are not owned by the federal government, or non-federal acres per capita. From to , the federal government's land ownership in .